Monday 26 August 2013

Escape into Roald Dahl's Garden

Running your own business is like spinning plates and trying to keep them all up in the air!    I'm drawing a commission of mischievous kittens, starting Module 2 of the Art & Business of Surface Pattern Design Course, printing & making orders, working on new Story Book Ideas & trying to get Christmas Designs drawn and stitched!  I've also just finished printing & trimming 250 Cards & Art Prints and packed them up for a wonderful new Stockist in America (they will be opening their online doors in around a month so I'll tell you all about them then - think traditional & european toys)!


So whilst I keep spinning those plates would you like to have a cup of tea and visit Roald Dahl's garden with me?  Nestled in the Buckinghamshire landscape, the gardens at Gipsy House, are opened just a few times a year under the National Gardens Scheme.  Just imagine my excitement when I was able to visit on my recent UK trip! 

 

Such a beautiful white house with bright happy yellow doors and my favourite part of course was his Writer's Hut looking out over a wildflower meadow!  Maybe, just maybe, one day I too will build my own mini house with roses round the door where I can go and write & paint!  I'll let the photos do the rest...  you can click on all the photos to see larger images.





 Can you spot his white Writer's Hut?


Where those magical books were written!

  I guess I can understand closing the curtains, although I don't think I could.
 I would probably sit gazing at the view too much as well!  

Dreaming!

The row of Pleached Limes planted in 1985 leading to his Hut

Standing under the same trees!

He planted a Maze with fabulous messages carved in the stone, for his children








I hope you enjoyed this magical trip to Gipsy House.  I love to hear your comments.
Catherine
x








10 comments:

goecker said...

Just Beautiful, says "come on in and stay a while"

ginger@bearbits said...

Hi Catherine,

Thanks so very much for sharing your trip to Roald Dahls Garden. The photos are terrific and make me want to see it one day myself - maybe it will happen! I enjoyed seeing your pictures and all the little details that you mention.

Wonderful!

~ginger

Leslie said...

loved the tour. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Unknown said...

Oh to have a home office like Mr Dahl's! Great photos, what a fun visit you had! Congrats on the continued success of your beautiful drawings! Chrissie x

Sharon Cs. said...

So beautiful! and peaceful... Thank you for sharing! It remains me about Beatrix Potter's home.

Hannapat said...

Just found your lovely blog. Such a fan of Mr Dahl abd what an amazing trip. Looking forward to spending some more time here xo

Helen Philipps said...

This is a wonderful post.....I really enjoyed the visit to Roald Dahl's house with you. I have often read about his writing hut in the garden so it was a real treat to see your lovely photos of this magical place.
Helen x

Tracy said...

VERY happy for your that business is booming and blooming, Catherine! LOVED this visit to Dahl's! :o) ((HUGS))

My Little Home and Garden said...

Hello, Catherine

Thank you for your visit. I'm returning the favour and just enjoyed my through via your photographs. It looks like a lovely place and I know I'd enjoy a good snoop in the hut.

I gather that you are also wildly creative. How wonderful.

-Karen

l.wilks11 said...

Wow!!! What a magical to visit. I just love Roald Dahl and remember reading his books to my son. He now reads them to his little daughter who absolutely adores them......xx